Saturday, September 27, 2008

Its all about ME

This post is strictly about me and there are no pics so you may find this boring. Well yesterday marked a first for me and I decided to share it all with you. It was my 1st day teaching a didactic course at CBC and ALL WENT WELL. one down 11 to go. I have been teaching in the dentsl hyg. dept at CBC for over a yr now but I have been in with the students in clinic where they are on patients. In that class someone else is the head instructor so all I have to do is show up (and not come up with a lesson plan, make copies, nothing). I generally have 4 students while they work on their patients, making sure to let them know if they have done something wrong, but also praise them when they do something well. For everything that the student does, I have to come back in and check and make sure that I agree with what they found, have etc. This is why it takes 3 hrs to get your teeth cleaned at the clinic.

Anyways so I am doing the clinic teaching in addition to the radiology course. Yes that means that the last month I have spent making power points, notes, schedules, quizes, tests, etc, etc, etc, and I finally know what it feels like to be a teacher. I have way more sympathy for them now knowing all the time they put in that is not paid for ( that is the worst part). I have 18 girls (yes sometimes there are boys but none this yr, there were 2 last yr) and they all thought I was the best yesterday because I brought them donuts, who could hate an instructor that brings you donuts. Hope they are not planning on that every week, that was just to butter them up and make them think that I am the best, I am sure that will all change as the weeks go on and I bring them tests and quizes instead of donuts. so from here on out if I post something about school you now have a little insight.

2 comments:

Merri said...

That is FANTASTIC!!! I am SO proud of you!!

Good call on the donuts...you know how evil girls can be. ;)

Jane Clark said...

Hey ,good call on the donuts. I am sure you are a great teacher! Especially compared to stereotype of a hygiene instructor. :) I am sure the girls will still like you when you bring them quizzes afterall they signed up for the cousrs, right??