Monday, September 8, 2008

"Hunting Camp"

So after years of trying to convince me Jake finally got me to go to "hunting camp" up in the blues near Waitsburg, Walla Walla, Dayton. I had always had excuses: last yr I was 9 months pregnant, the yr before we were working on our addition to the house still, and the list goes on. In the Waters family "hunting camp" is for the whole family--mainly because the majority of the girls in Jake's family like to hunt. As a matter of fact the "buck" that you will see was shot by his cousin Tera. Not only did she shoot the first deer, but so far is the only one to get a buck. So we arrived friday about 4:30-5 and by 8:00 jak had come back with this doe, so I was thinking "hey we can go home right"-- no wrong. The other part of the story Jake left out was that it is also bear and cougar season (yes both of which have been seen up their by his cousins in the last week, kinda feaks me out a little)and as of tody elk season, so needless to say Jake has an excuse to go hunting the rest of the season. I should have known better that it would not be over because they always hav late hunts and then something else will open up etc, etc, etc. I swear there is always a reason to hunt. I probably would not hate it so much if it was limited to 4 weeks or so, but no soon there will be something else to hunt for. Ok enough about that. Did I mention "No I will not be eating this animal" For some reason I do not like game-- no matter what you try to tell me and convince me I am not going to eat it or even try it, the end. Surprisingly my picky 6 yr old will, so he and his dad will get to enjoy it.

While the boys were out hunting saturday we (Jake's cousin Sheena and her 2 boys Logam and Aiden) decided to go to the Dayton fair. It was a nice little fair with no carnival but had a rock climbing wall and a mechanical bull for children that was free, and a little kid coner where they could color, paint or get their faces painted. It gave them a little something else to do other than ply with dirt and logs and anything else they could find.
Here he is riding the bull, thank goodness this was free because he loves to ride this thing and I was going to tell him no until the guy anounced that it was free- I guess that is the perks of having a little fair--some wheat farmer probably paid for that.

Here is Krae on the rock climbing wall and he decided that was all the further he was going because he was scared, so I guess that was a waste of $6

The kids at camp wrestling

The boys Aiden who is 2 but looks 4 and yes sometimes he can beat Krae up and then logan who just turned 1 but looks 2.

Finally pictures of the deer Jake shot archary(?) hunting or as Krae was asking "What tree dad" he thought Jake was saying "our tree". Krae was mightly disappointed that he did not get to shoot any thing with his bow and arrow but jake did take him out 2 different times and let him look for animals with him and tried to teach him a thing or 2 about hunting like staying quiet.

Jake, Krae and cousin Jimmy

All the guys giving their advice on how to gut a deer, this was Jake's first time doing it.

Here is the poor thing hanging. So they all made fun of Jake because when they were cleaning the deer they realize that she must have been pretty old becuase her hooves were worn and flat and her teeth were black and rounded off and so thay accused him of shooting Bambi's grandma and the other joke was that he must have had his hunting partner Mike go and knock the walker out from underneath her and then took a shot.

So we all survived and it was not as bad as I had put it off to be but I told Jake that I was not coming up next weekend. I could not stand the kids being so dirty and then the poor kids ran out of things to do so it seemed like all they could do was gt into trouble. And because A play pen does not fit in our camper poor Gracee did not sleep as well as she does at home. So if i go back it will be without Gracee.

2 comments:

The Lembcke's said...

EW EW EW!! I don't like seeing gutted animals!! I'm not against the sport...just don't want to see it...they are TOO cute of an animal to do that...you had guts (no pun intended) to go!

I hear ya on the "never see you guys anymore" I think it's just the time of year...if it isn't work, it's weddings on the weekends for us, or something else that keeps us tied up. We are trying to move back out to Burbank, but can't find anything to rent. Y'all need to throw a bonfire...it's cold enough now. =) That's so exciting the Krae started school again. Do Ashley and him have the same teacher?

Countrylivn' said...

Funny, Kraeton is a cute kid. Looks like a fun time, atleast you did it once now right...